21 September 2015

Ipoh & Penang Weekend Trip + Food Hunting

Finally, time for some food update on my blog! Food used to be one of my greatest satisfaction until I am officially a pregger. During my whole pregnancy, I do not have those crazy food crave (you know, those unreasonable food crave at the wrong time and place that may drive your other half to madness)

I wish I could have at least experience those 'privilege' once.

Since its almost impossible this round, I guess the best thing I could do is to eat whatever that crossed my mind.

We were on our babymoon from KL to Penang. Its a long journey and its almost impossible to resist a stopover at Ipoh for a food-break.

Here we are at one of our childhood breakfast place.
 
Hakka Mee (Photo Credit to Vkeong)
What I missed about Hakka Mee is the salty minced meat to be eaten with the 'crunchy' noodle and beansprout. Not forgetting the touch of fish sauce that enhance its overall aroma. I got to admit that what I had in my memory for this bowl of noodle is way much better than how it tasted nowadays. I do not know exactly what is missing, could it be the crowd of locals fighting for places to sit?




Our Childhood Hakka Mee at Paris Restaurant
Business hours : Starts from Morning till finish
Address : Jalan Sultan Iskandar, Ipoh


Nothing completes our trip to Ipoh without a cup of local white coffee and a toast. Any newbie in the town would have mistaken that the famous shop to be 'Old Town White Coffee'. A true local will guide you right to the opposite restaurants for their fix-of-the-day. I am not sure if these shops are related or not, my aunt (a super coffee addict) commented that both of them equally good.

It may not look as 'famous' or 'promising' to me the first time too but trust me you gonna fall in love with it.

Best Ipoh Coffee (Photo Credit to Cavinteo)

I usually prefer a cup of hot coffee rather than with ice. Who cares if I am 'Not Supposed' to drink caffeinated drinks, cos no one in the world can resist this in Ipoh.


Ipoh Original White Coffee at Sun Yuan Foong or Sin Yoon Loong
Business hours : Starts from Morning till finish
Address : Jalan Bandar Timah, Ipoh
After two sessions of breakfast, we continued our journey to Penang (another food heaven). Not much of food hunting in Penang this round as we planned to spend some quality time in the hotel.

We managed to squeezed out some time for the world's top cuisine, asam laksa.

It was raining cat & dogs when we reach Air Itam. We almost gave up on it when the rain doesn't seems like going to ease any time, there is no legal parking and most importantly we are still full with our 'breakfast'

Thanks to Kent's determination, we were there that day for an asam laksa super duel.

We started off with Laksa Bisu inside the Annex Food Court (alright, we are here by chance because it was raining outside and its way safer to be under some roof)
 
 
 Asam Laksa Bisu at Annex Food Court, Air Itam

To our surprised, Laksa Bisu tasted as promising as its look. Thick fish gravy with generous amount of fish. The proportion of vegetable, noodle and prawn sauce is just perfect for each bite.

After the satisfying bowl of asam laksa bisu, we ran over to the Laksa Pasar Air Itam. This is one stall that you won't missed on the way to Kek Lok Si. Its situated right at the edge/corner of the market and you can tell from the crowd of people/tourist.


Jalan Pasar Asam Laksa (Photo Credit to Tripadvisor)
Asam Laksa at Ayer Hitam
Business hours :Daily from 11am - 8pm
Address : Pasar Air Itam, Jalan Pasar, Penang

 


It looks as promising as Laksa Bisu but it doesn't taste as good as it is. Too much prawn sauce and all I can taste is the saltiness and sourness (Is it even supposed to taste sour?). There were too much vegetable and some of it even tasted bitter. I am so unsure if this is the original but definitely not to my taste buds preference. Sorry for a less desirable review here but everyone has difference taste preference.
 
After spending our quality time at Penang, we stop-by Ipoh (again) for lunch. Its late afternoon and we were still so lost of where to eat. Lucky that this restaurant still opens and we get to enjoy ipoh famous chicken shredded noodle before heading back to KL. Gotta admit that the name translated to English doesn't really sounds as tempting as the original dialect 'Kai See Hor Fun'. 

Then Chun Coffee Shop (Photo Credit to Stimfish)
Chicken Shredded Noodle at Thean Chun
Business hours : Starts from Morning till late lunch
Address : Jalan Bandar Timah, Ipoh


This is how the original 'Kai See Hor Fun' should look like. Flat noodle in clear chicken soup topped with shredded chicken meat, prawns and spring onions. Not to forget the must-have prawn oil which is to me, the secret ingredient to a perfect bowl of 'Kai See Hor Fun'.


If you happen to drop by, this is another must try dessert in Ipoh. Egg Custard for the sweet tooth!